I hadn't lived in a studio in over twenty years. I really wanted to try it again. It was an excellent decision. I feel very calm and focused in this space.
This is the temporary table I created out of moving boxes for my birthday in August.
This is obviously my kitchen (note to self: replace dingy old dish towels with crisp white ones). The stack of papers on the left is my novel. I can't bring myself to tuck it away in some drawer. I guess I just feel like it needs to breathe until it sells :)
This is the little dining space at the end of the kitchen. To the left it looks a bit cluttery on top of the cabinet, but those are pictures of my dad, incense and candles. To the right I have a chair for meditating. I've wanted to get rid of it, but when I meditate in bed, nine times out of ten it turns into a nap.
...especially when candles are lit. The plaque reads: "Bless our Home" in Arabic.
This is my bedroom... and exactly what I envisioned before I found the apartment. Behind the double doors is the bathroom and a small dressing room or walk-in closet.
This is my office. Looks familiar, eh?
This is the view I usually wake up to. That's Kylee. She's a lot more fun than she looks. She was just tired of taking pictures that day, and was no doubt wishing she was out herding tombstones behind our apartment.
(From the kitchen) Yes, I do still hang things on the walls. This one is my favorite:
Courage... and sometimes a shovel.
Speaking of shovels... there is nothing minimalistic about this. It looks very cluttered, and I don't like it. But I'm having a hard time letting go of this shoe organizer. I like being able to see these things. It keeps me from purchasing batteries, thread, white-out, Thank-you cards, etc., because I can remember I already have them. Once I decide to move them to a drawer, I will have figured out a really good way to keep them organized in there, so I still remember what I have. I own a lifetime supply of staples, 3x5 cards and white-out from storing them in drawers, then buying more, because I'd forgotten I already had plenty.
This is my closet (note to self: spring for matching, opaque, storage containers). Four of the seven storage containers above hold photos. I've decided these are going to play a big role in Christmas gifts this year. The red one is Xmas ornaments (sooo not ready to minimize those - LOVE Xmas), and the purple one contains writing projects and a set of jelly jar glasses an old friend gave me for my 40th birthday, which I love. Can't part with them - period. The last container holds my summer clothes, a handmade set of curtains from Damascus, a couple of gorgeous tablecloths from Damascus and two yellow towels I use for jobs which I wouldn't dare use a white towel - a.k.a. dog adventures gone awry. The piece of glass you see leaning against the wall to the right is a coffee table I always envisioned in the apartment, but once I actually found it I wasn't sure I really wanted it. It's heavy and takes up a lot of space - not my style now. Don't be surprised if it's on Craigslist before Christmas. It's six feet long. I thought it would be nice when I have friends over for dinner... before I realized I live in a neighborhood full of great restaurants. Still mulling this over.
If I find a picture of my previous closets, I will definitely post them here. I had three closets, each almost twice as big as this one and all three were crammed full. This one contains my clothing, shoes, coats, jewelry, luggage, printer and a spare blanket.
My bathroom... the mirror reads: "I am so happy and grateful I have the world's greatest agent, and he sold my novel today." He will soon, at which point I'll just change it to read "my 2nd novel" :)
Odd to have a saying about hope over your toilet, I know... but this is where I get ready to face the day too. It reads: "Once you choose hope, anything's possible."
The bag hanging on the back of the door is a bit cluttery, I know. But it's uber-covenient, as it holds all of Kylee's leashes, treats, toys, etc. The bag reads: “She is too fond of books, and it has addled her brain." -Louisa May Alcott. The quote on the wall was a fortieth birthday gift from my Great Aunt Carol: "Home is where your story begins." -Annie Danielson. This is to the left of my bed and I love waking up to it.
***
In other news...
I met my awesome friend, Anna, for coffee Friday night. She's a professional organizer in a class by herself. Anna will never, ever, take you to The Container Store. She's a firm believer in working with what you have, because she says your problem is not that you don't have a good enough system. The problem lies between your ears. She can determine right away what the real issue is behind your organizing dilemna, and there is no problem too big or too small. I love hearing about her clients. She is always saying she has the best job in the world. Anna and I met while working with seniors. She's now devoting that time to her clients, as well. She personally handles a broad spectrum of organizing challenges across Chicagoland: http://www.freshlookorganizing.com/about.html
kylee is gorgeous!
ReplyDeleteand the apartment feels very peaceful and soothing :)
Thank you, Louise! She's the sweetest dog I've ever known... and this apartment is the most peaceful place I've ever lived.
ReplyDeleteIs your bed a futon? It looks so grounded and comfy.
ReplyDeleteSo glad you posted photos!
ReplyDeleteI LOVE your all-white towels in the bathroom. Love love love. And I love your bedroom as well. As much as I love color, I love a plain, crisp white bedroom. My husband and I are going to try sleeping with our mattress on the floor soon. I'll let you know how it goes!
Minkisi,
ReplyDeleteYes, it's a futon. I may get white frame, but right now I like having all that open space around me. It makes for a very peaceful sleep.
Chesapeake,
ReplyDeleteThank you. It's funny, because I've always loved really bright, warm colors. My favorite color is orange. But there is definitely something very soothing about being surrounded by so much white.
How exciting for you to have a husband that might be open to minimalism!
My husband is all about minimalism. We both discovered it while we were dating, so we were on the same page before we were married. Which is pretty awesome, especially when I hear of people struggling to get their SO on board for minimizing and decluttering.
ReplyDeleteI've decided that I love white canvases (like walls) and white furniture. It's a blank slate for me to knit colorful, rainbow-hued blankets. That way there's not too much visual noise going on and I still get my love of color.
Love your apartment. I'm also in my 40s and loving finding the minimalist-way. With your boxes post and this post, I feel like I may have written this blog as we are so similar. 40s, late start to minimalism, box hoarders, I WANT a studio apartment, and I'm looking to move to Chicago. My friend lives there and she's talked me into moving. Now I need to find a job.
ReplyDeleteYeah, people seem pretty confused when I explain that I WANTED a studio :) As for Chicago, come on over!
ReplyDeleteAlthough you don't have a lot of furniture in your house, it still looks good because it's very spacious. I'll try to buy a similar white futon for my newly-bought apartment to conserve my savings.
ReplyDeleteTyrone Swopes
Thanks, Tyrone! I'm so used to sleeping on a futon now I've forgotten all about beds. I did recently replace my kitchen table and chairs. I'm using them everyday so I think it was a good call, but I have no desire for any more furniture for now. Eventually I think I'll graduate to some type of sofa bed, if I can find one that's comfortable :) Thanks for reading my blog!
DeleteI also believe in minimalism, Sheri. For me it's not the amount of furniture that makes a home, but the condition of the person living in it. As long as you're comfy with the bare necessities, you're good to go!
ReplyDeleteRandy Robinson
So well said, Randy! Thank you :)
Delete