Monday, October 10, 2011

Using Your Dreams to Simplify Your Life



Ever feel like everyone else has all the answers? It's an illusion. The only person who has all of the genuine answers to your challenges, a.k.a. opportunities for growth, is you... and they're so much closer than you think. In fact, they're right inside your head, inside your subconscious, to be exact.

I'm not talking about writing down your dreams and then consulting a book, a psychic or a website to interpret the symbols. I'm talking about something much more personal ergo far more powerful. The truth is there are very few universal symbols, so I don't personally put a lot of stock in dream interpretation. Take a red wagon for example. Maybe a red wagon was your prized possession when you were a kid. Or maybe the bully in your neighborhood had an old red wagon, and one day he tied you to it and sent you careening down Dead Man's Hill. In one way or another, it's our life experiences which naturally determine each and every one of our symbols.

I used to have a hypnotherapy practice. Hypnosis was interesting and rewarding work, but it was Hypnotic Dreamwork I found absolutely fascinating. I was constantly amazed by the clever and often hilarious symbols which appeared in my clients' dreams. I was also mesmerized by the self-healing aspect of the work. I delighted in gently guiding them through their own metamorphosis. Discovering they already possessed all the answers was so empowering for them, I found they actually looked quite different at the end of their sessions, almost illuminated from within. I hung a mirror in my office specifically for these clients.

Several years after I'd closed my practice and begun writing, I discovered I easily reached a similar trance state when writing. One morning I'd had an exceptionally bizarre and haunting dream, and decided to experiment. Instead of talking my way through the process I wrote it out. It worked, and it was unbelievable. I mean, just chocked full of major self-discoveries.

It doesn't matter how perplexed we are by our dreams in the waking state. In trance all of the meanings and answers become crystal clear. All of the characters in our dreams are quite forthcoming with any information we need. It's a very peaceful, yet exciting experience.

I've always wanted to share this technique, which I call Dream Solving, on a larger scale. Why look to someone else to tell you what your subconscious already knows better than anyone else? The writing process is simple and fun. Even when it's an upsetting dream, you come out of it feeling uplifted by your ability to resolve your conflicts and break down barriers that had previously held you back. It is perfectly safe and quite enjoyable. Think about it this way, each night your mind is serving up opportunities for you to work through life's challenges and grow. Why not take full advantage of that wonderful, self-cleaning brain of yours?

If you think you'd be interested in an inexpensive, very easy-to-understand, one-day-read, complete with worksheets, let me know. It would be so fun to share this technique with as many people as possible and hear how well it works for them. When it comes to therapy, what is simpler than putting pencil to paper?

In addition, if you're someone who has always had difficulty remembering your dreams, no worries, There's a simple technique for that, as well.

Carpe Diem! Simplify!

11 comments:

  1. Read your story on missminimalist and had to click over. My husband and I moved a few months ago and pared all of our possessions down to one 5x8 uhaul trailer, but you inspired me to begin again with downsizing our stuff in half once more. I love the idea of having even less furniture than we do now. We've always loved Japanese architecture and the zen of tatami. We sit on the floor more than anything anyway! Seeing your "dining room set" was like getting permission to not own sofas if we don't want to!

    We are planning on building our own tiny house and your story was a reminder to me of the Law of Attraction. If we really want one, I can't send out mixed messages by wanting more clothes, more furniture, lamps etc, for the small(ish) apartment we have now. After reading this, I went into my closet and cut my wardrobe in half again (seventh time in four years, and I still have too many clothes!). You are an inspiration! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fascinating post - thanks! I sense you're on to something here & am interested in learning the technique and applying it! Tell me how.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda and Bookwuman, thank you for your interest! The book will be available in November.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chesapeake,

    How fun is this!? I think you just inspired ME to go through MY closet again lol. As for furniture, lamps, etc. I've adapted a swap system. If I want something new, I have to swap something old out. Although, I have to admit when I'm walking through Target and spot something pretty in Home Decor, I still admire it. Then it hits me - I don't have to worry about this anymore! I am no longer in that impossible race to have the coolest, most together place. It's such a relief. I did love decorating, but it was neverending and it was a misuse of my time and creatvity (at this time in my life). I'd rather spend my time and energy writing and being with friends and family. Go girl, go! Keep me posted :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sheri- I love how you say "at this time in my life." I'm only 22 but have recently come to terms with my lifelong love of decorating vs my practical side that says "it really never ends or fully satisfies you." The decorating shows/blogs that used to thrill me now have me saying "oh, but someone had to pay for that! And what if they move? What a pain to box all of that stuff up. And who is going to dust all those little ceramic sculptures and the tops of the picture frames?" Hahahaha! To everything a season, right? I am indulging my love of beautiful things through clean, open living spaces, not on having the latest and greatest throw pillows. Will definitely keep you posted!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Chesapeake. I think it's really important to clarify "at this point in my life" because it's just me and my dog for now. When you have a family or even a significant other to compromise with and take into consideration, it can be much more challenging. We're all following our own path at our own pace. Francine, aka Miss Minimalist, had a dazzling post today on how she has digitized just about everything a person can. I am nowhere near that stage. It's really inspiring. I just have to remind myself how far I've come, and that I'm still just a grasshopper when it comes to minimalism, as I took my first step on this journey just seven months ago. That being said, I wish I would've adopted this philosophy in MY early twenties! I could've traveled the world by now! All in good time :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Small steps is the only way to go. Too much too soon always overwhelms me. I seem to go in about three month cycles of "okay, I'm good with the stuff I have" and then suddenly I'm donating everything. I like it that way! Ebb and flow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. this blog is just incredible for me-I have been going thru many, several rounds of purging over the past year or so-lately, I am very spurred on by personal tragedy, to the point that my husband thinks I need to "take a break" from the disposing, donating & giving away of our things. while he is an absolute supporter of anti-clutter, he seems to think I've gone a bit too head long into my "minimalizing", even though, in my mind, we have a loooong way to go! my struggle is just how liberated I feel by parting w/things, & balancing that w/my husband's perspective. I have been reading francine jay's books & blogs, & i ADORE the law of attraction, so it's ceaselessly fascinating for me to be uncluttering my space as well as my mind. thanks so very much, sheri, for all of your info-it has been helping me thru so many conflicts & difficulties

    ReplyDelete
  9. and also very interested in your technique!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you, Saranac! A personal tragedy really shifts our perspective. Follow your heart.

    ReplyDelete