Thursday, May 12, 2011

This Is Not a Got-It-All-Together Blog

I slept in today, and I've noticed that when I sleep in on my day off it's not because I'm tired. It's because I don't want to face the day and my mile-long to-do list. I'm feeling overhwhelmed far too often. I'll be going back to school in August. That's going to re-open a whole new world of responsibilities. It looks like I'll be in Honors again, so I'll have plenty to do going to school full time while working full time. If you were hoping to read the blog of someone who already has it all together and simplified, I'm afraid you're reading the wrong one. I am a work in progress, make no mistake.

On the bright side, I have these next three months to simplify my life quite a bit. That's where my focus needs to shift, starting right now.

I used to have a line of greeting cards abotu thirteen years ago. It was a business I started when my dad was dying. When I lost him, I threw myself into it until the grief caught up with me and I could barely move. Then I put everything away. I didn't like running a business, not that one anyway. I was not a nice boss to myself, felt guilty anytime I wasn't working on the business and couldn't relax. I didn't like being a one-man-band. I was in charge of everything, when all I really wanted to do was create cards... all I really wanted to do was write the funny stuff. All I really wanted to do was write... which is what I do now. Life is a series of stepping stones.

I still have thousands of those hilarious, perfectly good cards. I've moved them so many times it's ridiculous. I've considered burning them at times, because I was so sick of moving them, but I knew that would be a terrible waste. Around Christmas I considered selling them again, but that opens up a whole new can of worms. Stores will want new cards just like last time and I've already established that I don't want to run that business. I don't even want to run it online. I think I just want to give them away. That was the best part  anyway. It was fun to give them away - not profitable, but it made people really happy, which made me happy. I think I'll focus on nursing homes and assisted living communities. I think it could be fun. I just need to group them into packages. I could meet a lot of nice people doing this over the summer. I could make up some business cards since the information on the back is incorrect or I could make stickers to cover it with updated information if people wanted to send me an email. It's going to feel so good to finally get out from under all of those cards and boxes!

No comments:

Post a Comment